Saturday, February 21, 2009

Is GE still a worthy infrastructure icon?

General Electric needs little introduction. General Electric was established in 1876 by famed American inventor, Thomas Edison. In the middle of the Panic of 1873, a six-year recession, Edison created one of the best-know inventions of all time – the incandescent light bulb. Its history of late may be coloured for sure particularly as it relates to its ability to manage it financial services arm. This group has been responsible for a significant proportion of its recent success, and now contributes equally significantly to its major challenges. The group struggles under massive debt and the continued potential for substantial losses. GE has a large share of CC debt which by some is possibly one of the next shoes to drop. Shares dipped to a new 52 week low on Friday touching $8.98 and down 42% YTD, albeit with last dividend paid. Crappy Day, But It Could've Ended Worse (C, BAC, GE)

I bought into GE at a time when things were deteriorating - I was hopeful of my choice of entry. I was supposed to observe a stop at $17. I didn't. It has not been quite as painful as it could have been considering the reversal in Cdn-US dollar relationship. I continue to read materials in search of what I want/need to hear. That the company will survive. When this whole market thing started falling apart in 2007, that was the key, find companies that will survive.

I realize all the technical stuff points to really really big challenges ahead for GE. But I guess I'm just stubborn. I llike this comany. I believe it will be a survivor. Though I am more than a little uncertain about what the survivorship looks like. I had put in a buy order at $8.99 too late and missed filling the order. Maybe that was a good thing. Maybe there is still more down side. Maybe I already have enough exposure here (12.9% of total equities held). Maybe it will go to zero? There is lots being written about how and why this will or will not happen.

But, I mean really? Who else has "Ecomagination"? GE Ecomagination This is GE's answer to providing the world with innovative solutions to sustainability challenges. They have a lot of smart people there. Those smart people are doing good things. The Smart Grid. Google and GE together. More smart people in the room, right? But do all these smart people have the undivided support of the money people, the business people, the credit people? We'll have to wait and see.

No comments: