Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Energy Drinks (CMAJ Editorial)

Being the son of a pair of general practitioners brought with it certain benefits, as well as biases.  My dad used to say that taking vitamins only gave you expensive urine.  Eye surgery to correct vision was like cigarettes and no one really knew the long term effects.  And chiropractors were quacks.  I'm sure there's more, but you get the point.  I have carried some of that character along with me into my own adult life and decisions.  The energy drink is one of those products that I apply that caution to.  Taurine, one of the common constituents in these beverages is a neuro-transmitter.  I remember writing a paper about Taurine in my final year at University.  Caffeine is a stimulant.  In my view, feeding copious quantities of these 'nutrients' into our body can only lead to imbalances.  So although I have not researched or even read much about them, I have stayed away from these products, and have, by example, led my children down an energy drink free path.  The Canadian Medical Association Journal editorial this week provides a credible storyline to maintain that path.


The Energy Drink Story


No comments: