Tuesday, August 3, 2010

What I love most about summer






Summer is a special time of year for many.  For me there are many memories of playful, free, and exciting times. My family had a summer house that we called 'the Camp'.  The Camp was located close enough to town that we usually moved out there for the May long weekend and remained there until the Labour Day long weekend.  My mom and dad would go to work and we kids would ride our bikes to school.  After school was out it was water skiing, canoeing, sailing, fishing, and generally just exploring.  I have strong recollections for following painted turtles around the neighbouring swamp.  And sitting quietly watching Great Blue Herons hunting.  Brown Bullhead catfish.  Smallmouth Bass.  Ruffed Grouse.  Red Cedars.  White Pines.  And Garter snakes.


Although the Camp is no longer a part of our lives, there are certain experiences that linger.  And one of my most favorite is the taste and smell of blueberries.  We used to hike to a variety of different locations to pick blueberries.  One more arduous trek was up the trail to the fire tower at the southwest corner of the lake.  This was an almost straight uphill hike to the hilltop and loads and loads of blueberry bushes.  And black bears of course as well.  So as I travel through my second half century, the taste and smell of blueberries always takes me back to Windy Lake and the childhood memories of summer.

No comments: