Monday, February 28, 2011

REALLY? I Mean REALLY??!! (New York Magazine via The Daily Beast)

Bernie Madoff: ‘I Am a Good Person’

Bernie Madoff must be getting lonely: Just weeks after talking to
The New York Times, Madoff has given an interview again to 
New York magazine. “I am a good person,” Madoff insists, 
while claiming his Ponzi scheme “was a nightmare for me.” 
“It’s horrible. When I say nightmare, imagine carrying this 
secret,” he says. “Even the regulators felt sorry for me.” 
He also says his victims were complicit in his crime: “These 
banks and these funds had to know there were problems.” He s
ays his wife Ruth “quite frankly, doesn’t forgive me for what 
I did,” and he addresses his son Mark’s suicide: “Let me tell you, 
I cried for well over two weeks. I cried and cried. I didn’t come 
out of my room. I didn’t speak to anybody, and so on. I have 
tears in my eyes when I’m talking to you, even. Not a day goes 
by that I don’t suffer. I may sound OK on the phone. Trust me, 
I’m not OK. And never will be.”

No comments: