Tuesday, September 13, 2011

John Mauldin's Outside the Box: US Monetary System Health in question again


By David Galland | September 13, 2011
This week we take in a piece that is somewhat outside my own box. There are a number of people who feel strongly that the US (and world governments in general) cannot pull out of the downward spiral they are in, that monetary policy is fixed on printing ever more money, and that the problems of fiat currencies are now coming to the fore.
I was interviewed last week by David Galland and Doug Casey of Casey Research. Those of you familiar with them know they (and especially Doug) have a strong libertarian bent and a distrust of government. Not all that unusual, of course, except that they work at finding ways to invest based on their philosophy. That has meant a lot of gold and natural resources, plus new tech, which has worked at rather well overall.
In the interview, I was the “optimist.” By that I mean I was the guy who thinks the US government will do what is necessary to bring down the deficit beginning in 2013. David pointedly asked, “So you mean your ‘optimism’ is based on your faith that the US political leaders will do the right thing?” And the blunt answer is, “Yes, because not doing it would be a disaster, and I think, based on conversations with some of them, that they actually get that.”
Which is the case I outlined in my book, Endgame.But if I am wrong and we do not deal with the deficit in a controlled manner, then all bets are off. Sadly, the guys at Casey would be right. So, today’s Outside the Box is an op-ed from David Galland.
If you like it you can click on the link at the end and, for the exorbitant price of your email address, you can see the entire webinar (and my part in it), or sign up now athttp://www.americandebtcrisis.com?ppref=JMD420ED0911A.
I think this week we’re going to be focused on Europe. I am getting ready for my trip there at the end of next week, so I am reading more about the situation there to prepare myself. But right now let’s focus on the US.
Your wondering where the time goes analyst,
John Mauldin, Editor
Outside the Box
JohnMauldin@2000wave.com

No comments: